Thursday 9 June 2011

Getting back into the swing.

I've not posted for a while which is a bad thing. I wanted to do a blog and fell at the first hurdle - making sure I post regularly!

Never mind, I am back again now and intend to get into a bit more of a routine!  The problem is that I have been collecting photos and things to mention on here and now there is a whooping great big back log of things to show.  So what have I been doing?

Well, back in February I went to Unravel in Farnham - a lovely knitting and crochet show where there are some gorgeous displays and loads of stalls selling beautiful yarns - lots of spun or dyed by the individual. 

I bought a 4 ply sock yarn from the Skein Queen in a shade of turquiose-green (Not entirely sure how I managed to photograph that and have an entirely black background but it makes the yarn look good so I am not complaining).  I don't have any plans about what I am going to do with it yet.  It is 70% baby alpaca, 20% silk and 10% cashmere so if I did summon up the courage to make socks, they probably would be the softest, comfiest socks imaginable but would probably have holes in within the week!  I shall probably save it for some sort of shawl or scarf.

I also bought these two lovelies from Skeins.co.uk in a chunky yarn called Lushush.  They are very soft and squidy too.
The yarn band suggests 9mm needles, just to give you some idea how chunky it is.  I think I might do a buttoned cowl with this one.  I don't have a lot of it because it is dyed in small batches and these were the last two skeins from that batch but it is not cheap and I have enough for what I want so it is OK.  It would have made a great jumper if I had enough of it though. 

My final purchase came from Ni Mu - a 65% cashmere, 35% silk mix.  Again I could only run to one skein but I am definitely going to be making a shawl with this.  There was a made up one on the stall at the show so I have already got the pattern.


Isn't it the most beautiful colour?  And it is so soft too.

At the moment all I am doing with these is looking at their woolly loveliness and stroking them.  I really need to get a move on although I have other projects at the moment that are taking priority.  Still, can a stash ever be too big? (Don't answer that with a yes and shatter my illusions please).  And knowing my luck I shall knit all these scarfs and shawls and we shall have the warmest winter on record next year and I won't need them, but I suppose the advantage of knitting accessories is that you can't grow too big or too small for them so I shall just have to save them until they can be worn and enjoyed.

I also have some knitting to show you, and I went on a bag making course a couple of weeks ago and made a nice little tote.  My edging stitches aren't great (I blame my machine) so I want to cover them with some ric-rac - when I have done that I will show you that too.  I could go on and on but I had better stop before this gets too long and leave the rest for another day.

Thanks for reading. x

No comments:

Post a Comment