Saturday 8 December 2012

On with the show.

I can't believe it is just over 2 weeks until Christmas.  I am so  unprepared.  Yet again, all my plans to make beautiful things for Christmas have fallen by the wayside.  Instead I have a lot of City and Guild homework, some of it already overdue, that has to be done in the next 5 weeks if I am to stand any chance of finishing the course and getting the qualification. Still there is nothing like a bit of pressure to get the creative juices flowing!!

Talking of creative juices, a couple of weeks ago I went to the bi-annual show of the North Hampshire Quilters.  As usual they put on a lovely display of all their recent creations.  they are quite a traditional group but they do some gorgeous work.

This one and the next are both by my mother, Thelma Winn.  The picture above isn't great but it is a quilt with dogs on which she made for my younger son who is dog mad. Rather a quilt than a real dog imo but unfortunately he isn't fobbed off that easily and 'a real dog' is top of every birthday and christmas present list he is asked to make.


 The next one is a beautiful bit of piecing which she had long armed quilt by another NHQ, Mandy Parks.  I think my mother is particularly proud of this one.  If I remember correctly it is a jelly roll quilt.



This one caught my eye for the accuracy of the piecing.  I am not sure that I have the patience or the probably the skill for this sort of thing!




Normally the colours of the next quilt wouldn't appeal at all but I really like this one.  It is a double quilt by Francis Tozer and I think the darker creams which are almost lemon really lift this.


These next two are both included because they are just so colourful and I do love a bit of colour.


The one above is called Over the Rainbow by Doris Dove and the one below is also by Doris and is called A Mystery No Longer although quite why is still a mystery to me! LOL.


Oh no, I have just read the card which is hung with the quilt (zooming in on digital photos is a marvellous thing).  Doris lead a quilt making session where everybody what told what colours and sizes of fabrics to bring and then they were told what sizes to cut.  Apparently they didn't see the finished design they were making until lunchtime of the day they did the workshop.  Sounds like an interesting day.

Anyway, these are a few of my favourites but if you are interested in seeing some more photos of their show and finding out more about their group, their website can be found at http://www.north-hampshire-quilters.org.uk/.

I shall be back in a few days with some more of my own samples for my course and probably with a list of my WIPS!!.  Does anybody else want to share a particularly big or significant list of WIPS?  I would love to know I am not alone with so much outstanding work!

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment