Sunday 13 February 2011

Unexpected benefits of having a lie-in

Yesterday morning I had an unexpectedly leisurely lie-in.  Our central heating is broken so I was in no hurry to get out of my cosy bed and have a bath so I just stayed put and found myself thinking about knitting, as you do!

I started off wondering whether I could make up some kits for my shop.  I need to have a pattern as well as provide the yarn and my pattern designing skills are not, as yet, up to the challenge of making jumpers and cardigans.  I suppose I could do scarves and hats but I haven't yet.  Anyway, I got to wondering about small projects and for some reason thought of knitted Christmas decorations.    Yes, yes I know it is only February but one must plan ahead!!  So, after a quick trip into town for some squared paper and then to the wool shop for some yarn, I came up with this -


I am quite proud of myself.  It may only be one little tree but it is the first thing that isn't a scarf that I have 'designed'.  I have never knitted with sequins but that will be what I have a go at next. After all, if it is to be a Christmas decoration, I will need to decorate my knitted tree.  Alternatively I could sew on some beads I suppose but knitting with beads or sequins is probably easier.

I then got to wondering about decorating it with flowers since Christmas is so far off but I don't think it is a flowering tree shape so I shall leave it bear for the time being. If I did do that, I think I would use felted flowers.  I don't think you could crochet or knit flowers small enough as the finishe size is only about 13 or 14cms.

What I did do was add some stuffing and I ended up with something that looked like a pin cushion so it is at least useful!


 The yarn is lovely and I used Artesano Superwash Merino which I have used before for some fingerless gloves. It knits up really well.  I particularly liked the brown although that might be because it looks like chocolate!!

Whilst at the wool shop I  got some other colours as my lie- thoughts also pondered the possibility of doing some fair isle.  I thought I would have a go at trying to design  my own fair isle pattern too, since I appear to be on a roll.  (Clearly the creative juices require lie-ins to flow properly).  As yet I haven't done anything with them, but this is what I bought.


Not my usual choice of colours but as I say, I love the chocolate brown and the other three go with it well I think.


Watch this space to see what I come up with!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment