Wednesday 9 February 2011

Interesting Days.

I went to a business expo yesterday to help out on my husband's stand as he has his own business.  As I haven't been in a business environment for a considerable length of time (ahem....10 years or so) it was a big deal.  And, since I don't have office smart clothes at the moment I had to 'invest' in some smart new shoes which are lovely.  Nice red ones but not too red.  I wore a smart red jumper and black skirt.  I thought I looked sufficiently business like not to show up Mr P anyway.  However, having seen what all the other women were wearing I seem to be very out of touch with office clothing.  Since when did office clothes have to be so dull and boring?!  Is it the done thing to wear a grey or black suit and a white shirt?  I remember now why I am trying to do something else rather than go back to working in an office.  Obviously I am not so shallow as to be entirely put off by the clothing, there is more to it than that, lots more which I will tell you about one day, but it doesn't help!  The irony of it is that the men where more colourfully dressed than the women.  They didn't seem scared a splash of colour and an interesting shirt!

Anyway, whilst I was there I took the opportunity to go to a search engine optimisation talk which is relevant to me and my little website.  It was very interesting despite being a bit geeky.  I now get why my advertising in magazines was such a costly waste of time.  People just don't use them as a means of sourcing their needlecraft materials.  I can't say I am surprised really - I don't much either.  Google is the on-line shopper's friend along with blogs, Facebook and all the other social media. I have much to learn about that's for sure.

What with the talk and a visit from the DMC rep today, I am enthused once more about my little business and how to make it bigger and better.  The DMC rep was very interesting and showed me all the new kits that were coming out in the next few months.  I shall be selling most of them in my shop.  I love new kits - it keeps things fresh, doesn't it?  You have to admire the work that goes into some of the designs too.  To think somebody has to first draw these pictures and then turn them in to thousands of little crosses - what a job!  I wish I had more aptitude for such things - I definitely wouldn't contemplate working in an office again if I could do that!

He also told me about their new, updated website (http://www.dmccreative.co.uk/) and the DMC Club.  If anybody is interested in cross stitch you can join the DMC Club for access to some free charts which can't be bad.  Apparently meerkats are the subject of choice at the moment.  I think that might have something to do with a certain insurance company, their adverts and the Russian branch of the meerkat family!!  I have to admit they are a favourite in this house too - the real ones at the zoo and their showbiz relatives.

And on top of all that excitement I had my haircut today by a new hairdresser.  I got a bit fed up with the old one and so decided to try somebody else.  Not only has she made a good job of it but she said very nice things about what a lovely colour it is and how soft it is.  Since most hairdressers are forever trying to get me to change the colour of my hair it was a refreshing change.  Others also seem to need to tell me that my hair is flat and lifeless, that my hairline is dodgy and the back of my head is flat.  Charming!!  Not the kind of remarks I go to the hairdressers for I have to say.  I thought it was supposed to be a confidence boost.  Actually, my favourite comment was from the one who said I had the straightest hair she had ever seen.  Quite an accomplishment if it were true but is  so not true that I did wonder if she was even talking to me. Admittedly I don't have a head of curls like I used to in my teens (where did they go?) but it certainly isn't that straight!!  She should see if first thing in the morning sticking out in all directions - I wish it were straight then I can tell you!

Thanks for reading. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment