Saturday 20 August 2011

Where has the summer gone?

Only another 2 weeks and it is the end of the summer holidays.  I can't believe how quickly this year has gone.  I don't have a huge amount to show for it either.  And it seems we should be starting to think about Christmas - I have had some DMC Christmas kits delivered already which I really must put in my little shop.  It is a scary thought although I refuse to think too much about it when we still have two more family birthdays left to go in September. First things first - lets get one lot of present shopping out of the way before we start thinking about the big one.  I suppose that shouldn't stop me sorting my shop out though.

Me and my boys have been out and about a bit in the last 3 weeks so there has been some opportunity for a bit of retail therapy.  We went to Winchester yesterday and I was 'allowed' to go in the fabric shop.  I didn't get too much - a couple of plain pieces of fabric, some embroidery cotton, a ball of wool to make a square for a Mumsnet comfort blanket and a pattern book for some Sirdar Calico yarn which has been lurking in my stash for rather a long time.  I am wondering if I should make something my parents-in-laws 50th wedding anniversary in two weeks - just a little bit of embroidery, mounted in an embroidery hoop or something.  I got two books for my birthday 2 weeks ago - this one Doodle Stitching - the Motive Collection and A Rainbow of Stitches which could prove useful for putting together a design.  Watch this space.

But what have I actually done recently?  Well, not a lot has been finished but I have made this camera pouch for my younger son as his camera didn't come with the pouch.



He loves dogs and would have one if we let him! 

A few weeks ago I also went on a bag making course, just 2 hours,  and this was the end result.


The picture makes it look quite small but it is big enough for an A4 file and the straps are long enough to put over your shoulder comfortably.  I was quite pleased with it but it isn't without mistakes.  However, I am not going to point them out!!  Not bad for a first attempt although I did have add the ric-rac afterwards because my sewing machine couldn't cope with the thickness of the fabric and the join of the handles to the bag were not the tidiest.  However, it is a usable bag, I like the fabric and it is comfortable to carry so I can't ask for more really.

No comments:

Post a Comment