Tuesday 1 November 2011

Creating gets a new lease of life

I have something to write about on a regular basis at last.  I am doing a City and Guild Craft and Design Course in Patchwork and Quilting and it is proving to be hard work but great fun.  The course is a day a week with another days worth of homework they reckon.  I have yet to get myself in a routine, having only done 5 weeks but I am sure I will have to do it soon or I might well be snowed under with things to do!

So far we have been doing colour theory which is very interesting as I have never formally studied it so far.  It also gave the opportunity for some serious retail therapy in the form of buying art materials.  Who knew there were so many ways to create...... or that they would cost so much.  At least I won't be short of christmas pressie ideas for people this year though.

The best thing so far has to be the dying day though.  Take a look at these!


We did 24 fabrics in all.  12 of them were primary colours and mixtures of primary colours.  The second 12 (the bottom half of the pile above) were the same mixs of primaries but with a bit of black thrown in to make a more mute palette.  We used procion dyes and white cotton and the Dye in a Bag method.  Very easy.  And to think I had always found the thought of dyeing fabric a bit daunting before.  It was actually quite easy so long as you kept track of where you had got to in the colour combos and remembered to add all the ingredients.  I would love to do it again some time.

I have to say my favourites were the pure colours without the black. 

Look at those colours!  So vibrant. It is a shame to cut them up it really is!  I will show you what we have been doing with them in another post as I haven't finished working on a few samples that we have to sew.

The amazing thing is that learning colour theory really changes the way you look at designs.  I went to Alexandra Palace with my mother at the beginning of October for the Knit and Stitch show.  Honestly a day was just not long enough - it was really a lovely day out for those that like all things crafty.  The exhibition of work by various creative people looked very different after learning about colour theory.  Before I would have marvelled at the techical ability of putting the piece of work together but now I marvel at the use of colour theory too.  I have always noticed colour - it is my favourite thing and the reason why I like so many crafts I think - but I never appreciated why before.

So last time on the course we did stripe piecing but this week are doing Bargello and Seminole patchwork and for all the courses I have done in the past, I don't think I have tried these two before so it should be fun.

Oh and the other eater of my time at the moment is Pinterest.  Have you come across it.  I am not sure if it is the work of the devil or  the work of a genius.  It is like an on-line pinboard where you can stick pictures of things that inspire or interest you. Since I am supposed to be collecting ideas for my course it could prove very useful although I have yet to discover how to print it off in a useful way should any of it require assessment.  I shall think of something though. This is mine here.  You are more than welcome to have a browse.

I shall be back quicker than I was last time with more things to show you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment