Monday 7 November 2011

Challenges!

Well, my patchwork and quilting course is going OK.  It is quite hard work.  The classes I have done before have been informal and not assessed in any way but this one is different and it is proving a challenge.  Not that that is a bad thing.  I started the course to be challenged and to actually move on with my skills but boy is it time consuming.

Last week we did Bargello and seminole blocks.  They are fiddly and the lines all have to match up which I sort of achieve but it is really hard work.  Much stitch ripping and adjusting going on.  It would take me months, probably years to do a whole quilt.

Anyway, this my attempt at a sample of Bargello.


I am quite pleased with it so long as I don't peer too closely at it!  Being a perfectionist is fine but it does your head in when you are trying something for the first time.

I have to confess, though I find whole Bargello quilts amazing and I can see the amount of work and thought that must have gone into them, I don't think it is the technique for me.  I don't find it very restful which is fine, it is good for things to have an effect on you, but it means I wouldn't want a wall hanging or a bed quilt in it.

I haven't got any seminole to show yet.  We tried out a few patterns in paper but I haven't yet done my sample.  Better get on with it I suppose - Wednesdays come round really quickly!

Oh and if anybody is interested, I have a Pinterest account now.  Another way to waste time on the computer.  If you want to come and see what else interests me and what else I have collected as inspiration for the patchwork and quilting course and for all the other types of needlecraft I like then come over here and have a nosey.

No comments:

Post a Comment