Monday 9 April 2012

Tempting Fate!

Well, another rainy bank holiday Monday (aren't they always) and what do you do on a rainy bank holiday round here?  That's right, you go shopping.  In an attempt to get out of the house the only place we could think of to go was Homebase - how sad is that?!  To be fair, my husband has to go out this evening to rehearse for his choral society's Titanic remembrance performance in Southampton (100 years since she set sail on her maiden and only voyage) so as a result we haven't really got a lot of time today to do anything else.  Anyway, Homebase was predictably busy but we still managed to order ourselves some garden furniture.  We have been looking at it for 3 years but we figured that we can't have yet another bad summer and this year was the year to splash out.  That was the optimistic me.  The pessimistic me says  I can now guarantee it will rain from now to September. <sigh>    Still, we need the rain.  I shouldn't complain really and even if we don't use it this year, the sun has to come out in the summer one day doesn't it?  Well doesn't it?!!!

It would be the ideal afternoon to do some crafting I suppose but I have a lot of cutting out to do and that isn't my favourite bit.  I am a bit of a wimp.  I know the rule is measure twice, cut once but I need to measure 4 or 5 times to be on the safe side.  It seems the harder I try to get it right the more likely it is that I make a mistake.  My course work is mounting up so I have to get on with it soon.

We have been doing a lot of hand sewing on my patchwork and quilting course recently.  The last thing we did, before we started the Easter school holidays was non-traditional hand quilting, a sort of mix between hand quilting and embroidery since a lot of the stitches are embroidery stitches.   It is quite relaxing.  This is my almost finished piece.



Actually I hadn't realised until now that this is not the finished article.  This does not include some additional couching and the extra tassells I put on a few days ago.  Maybe I will add some more photos later.  I had to use as many techniques as possible including filler stitches like these seeding stitches.


And some couching like this ribbon and the edge of the flower shape.  We also had to add some tassells. 





Apart from the fact the fabric is horrible I quite like it.  There was no pattern to follow - it just took on a life of its own.  The fabric was one I dyed for the course by the way.  I would never have bought it.  And in case you were wondering it isn't an accident.  This is the colour it was meant to be.  Yuck.

Apart of this, I have had a little burst of crochet too.  For quite a while I have a granny stripes blanket slowly, slowly growing.  I hadn't touched it for months but I did a few rows the other night.  This is it.


No fancy yarn.  Just Stylecraft Special DK which is very nice to work with I have to say and despite it being left over the back of the sofa for ages, shows no sign of bobbling that some people seem to think is automatic with an acrylic. I like it so much here is another photo!


It is quite big but not big enough yet.  I wonder how long it will take in the end..........?

Right, this post has taken me a few hours to do as I keep being interrupted by life and boys.  It is still raining. We have another week of school holidays left here.  I wonder if it will stop before the boys go back to school?!


No comments:

Post a Comment