Wednesday 25 April 2012

WIPS and WIPS to be

I've not been around for a bit because one of my boys and I have been unwell.  Nothing major, just a virus but we have been living in a little bit of a bubble for the past week, cut off from the outside world and watching too much telly.  Consequently, not much has been going on, craftwise.

What this brief hiatus of viral annoyances has done is give me time to think about what I need to be doing with my various WIPS.  At the moment I have my first sewing assingnment to complete for my City and Guilds patchwork course and I also have loads of outstanding samples to do as well.  Not only that but we have a design assigment to do, due in 2 weeks time. The design bit is not my favourite so I am not looking forward to that one - I have never considered myself to be at all arty and the design modules tend take me out of my comfort zone.  I suppose broken down into parts it isn't too bad but until you get started the whole things seems really daunting.  I need to crack on though.

And then added to that I have volunteered to help make some thing for a craft stall at our church fete in 2 months time.  I am not sure what I am going to make or how I am going to fit it in around the course work at the moment.  I have loads of ideas but it seems to me that there is a fine line between not spending too much time and money on projects and not producing something of a decent enough quality that somebody other than your family would be interested in buying it!  People don't go to a  church fete as a big spending day out - they go to play games, win the raffle and pick up a few books at the second hand book stall, not part with £20 for a tea cosy.  On the other hand, you have produce things of a reasonable quality or nobody will want to buy them, whatever they cost.

Anyway, some of the things I have thought about doing are

- cushions
- tea cosies
- coasters
- purses for children
- bags
- mug cosies
- make-up bags
- mobile phone/MP3 pouches
- pencil cases
- bookmarks.

So, mainly small things that don't cost the earth . Mostly I will sew them but I might knit the mug cosies and maybe a cushion. If anybody else has any ideas on what goes down well at fetes could you let me know?! 

And just so that I can add the all important photo to brighten things up, have a look at what I bought a couple of weeks ago.  Isn't it gorgeous - all the colours of the rainbow.


It is solid colours and funnily enough, I found I also have some charm squares in exactly the same fabric selection - Kona Cotton Solids.  At least I am consistent in my tastes even if I have no idea what I have in my stash!.  I am really struggling to know what to do with it though as the colours are so lovely.  Not that I have time to tackle this yet but I'm working on it. 

Thanks for reading. x

No comments:

Post a Comment