Monday 8 October 2012

Finished at last!

After all this time and not a few choice words a long the way, I have finally completed my table runner.  About 3 months late but whose counting!

This is the finished article.



Forgive the poor photo- I took it with my phone, at night and not in natural light and the colours seems a bit off.  I tried fiddling with it and editing it but to no avail.  Anyway, you get the idea - deep sea on the right and then the sea gets shallower until you get to the beach.  You can't really see the detail but the idea is that the blocks all face the same way with the top quarter evoking the sea rolling in. You can't tell from the photo but it measures about 34" by 19" It is 8 4" blocks by 4 4" blocks plus the border.

This one is a zoomed in version.


I couldn't really quilt this - it isn't really the done thing although I suppose I could have quilted in the ditch - so the quilt layers are held together by ties and as you can just about see in ever corner, the ties have a pearl bead for effect.  There is a tiny bit of decorative stitching on the top quarter of each block to hold the folds down but that is it.  .

I was quite pleased with it until I saw these photos!!  I hope, when I finally get it back from marking that it is better than pictures make it look.  I have been toying with the idea of getting a proper DSLR camera for blogging pictures amongst other things.  I am getting keener on the idea by the minute!

So what is next?  Well, my course has started back for the second and final year and I have design work on texture and shape to do and also a container to finish.  I am supposed to be doing a box with the sky line of London on it.  That isn't going well but life has not made things easy this last few weeks, especially with having to go back to working in an office!!  Oh the horror!  That is a post for another day.

Anyway, joking aside I am a bit behind but I do hope to have something to show you soon.  I have been doing blocks too - you know the proper ones that everybody thinks of when you say patchwork and quilting - four and nine patches and all that.  That involves hand sewing which I like best so I am happy for the time being.  I am sure there will be machine related challenges along the way!

I shall try and post more updates soon.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment