Wednesday 29 August 2012

Where did the days go?

I can't believe we are in the last few days of the school holidays.  Where did the days go?  It was going so slowly to begin with.  In a good way too - we just had so much going on.  We had holiday club for a week, the Olympics, holidays in North Wales, footie matches for the boys, visiting friends and Car Fest last weekend. Now half way through our final week and nothing else to look forward to, the time is rushing away.

It makes me quite sad really.  My elder son is just about to start year 8.  6 more years and he will have done both his GCSEs and A levels and will hopefully, be heading off to university and won't want to be spending the holidays with us.  Maybe.  When he started school, the years of summer holidays stretched out before us and now they are more than half gone as far as he is concerned. I say maybe because he as mild Aspergers and so maybe he will spend more time with us than the average child but who knows.  I am sure he will change a lot in 6 years.  6 more years will also see the younger one at the end of Yr 9 and just about to start his GCSE years.  He won't want to hang around with his ageing parents much by then either.  It all goes in a blink of an eye doesn't it?

So, I am not much looking forward to the start of term and I will miss them, but on the other hand, I have done next to no crafting this holiday.  There isn't the time or the space.  I need to sew on the dining room table and with the Playstation in the same room and in use for a fair few hours a day there isn't the opportunity.  Plus I need to feed the boys and we need the table for that too.  It hasn't really been picnic weather a lot of the time.  It is such a faff to unpack and then repack every time the table is needed or the sound of racing cars/football games gets too much to bear.

It will be good, not to say vital to get on with my course work when the boys do go back to school.  I will be in serious trouble if I don't have a few more things finished. I have been buying gorgeous silks for my quilted bowl which is going to be a challenge.  I don't want to mess it up having spent so much on the fabric.  Thankfully I have lots of old sheets to practice the design on first!

The only thing I have done in recent weeks apart from plan what I am going to do is a knitted square for another Mumsnet Woolly Hugs blanket, this time for a family who lost a little girl to cancer.  I can't imagine the pain they must feel so knitting a square is the least I can do.  I might have posted it before but if you are interested in having a look at what we have created, with an especially big shout out to the wonderful ladies who put the blankets together, this is the website - http://www.woollyhugs.com/about/ .

And this is my square.  Can't have a blog post without a photo even if it was very quickly taken on my phone.

It was knitted with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK so it is lovely to work with and very soft.  I bet a whole blanket would give a very lovely woolly hug.

Thanks for reading.  Please come back soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment