Monday 24 January 2011

Already falling behind

I have been meaning to do this post for over a week.  Oh the shame.  Only just started and already I am not keeping up. I have it on my To Do list for this week to do two posts at least so that is what I am aiming for.

Anyway, to get down to the point of this post, last weekend I went to the annual quilt show at the Farnham Maltings, run by the Farnham Quilters.  They show off their lovely quilts and also provide some opportunity for  a bit of stash building and retail therapy.  I took my mother as she is a bigger quilter than me these days. I do take full credit for introducing her to the craft as I used to take her to craft shows and shops after doing my first patchwork and quilting course almost 15 years ago but she has thrown herself into making gorgeous things since she retired and now belongs to the North Hampshire Quilters.  I find patchwork and quilting quite time consuming and difficult to do for short periods of time, unlike knitting and crochet so I haven't done much myself recently.  However, I have become inspired by the show to think again and maybe, now I am free of studying, get on with making something myself.  Well you never know - it is on the list of Things I Want to Do this year. 

I took a few photos to give a feel.  It is worth a visit if you are close enough but you'll have to wait until next year as it is just one day in January.  Shame. Anyway, I was much impressed by this piano cover that the ladies of the group made for the venue.  Such gorgeous colours!  And I have to say that I was quite impressed with the shape too.


These miniture quilts, below, were lovely.  Just my sort of size - I could manage a project like that!  I went so far as to try and buy a pattern but they had run out.  Shame.  I do have the lady's card though and if I ever get round to it she said I could email and arrange one mail order.  It would be a great project to take on holidy I think.  Very compact.  I like the seaside scenes but the Christmas ones make good decorations although, it being January, I am not really thinking that far ahead at the moment!!


There is a technical name for a quilt such as the amazing one below but it escapes me a the moment.  Anyway, you have to appreciate the work that goes into something like that.  I am not sure that I will ever manage it.


And this stand below, was also a little inspirational. It was set up to promote the City and Guilds level 2 and 3 Patchwork and Quilting courses which are being run locally next September.  It runs during the day which would be ideal for me as I don't have to disrupt anybody in the family to do it.  Plus, I have done evening classes but would much prefer not to have to go out on dark winter's evenings, if I can help it!  Wouldn't it be great if this time next year, I could be making quilts like this one? 


I loved the graduation of colour on the next quilt. It was a large quilt and it is quite something to keep in mind what you are trying to achieve when you are working on the little components.  I also like the simplicity.  The red/pink on a plain white background.  Sometimes less is more!


On the other hand, where would we be without a splash of colour to brighten our days?  I do have some lovely colourful batiqs just ripe for turning into a quilt such as these.  Not to everybody's taste I know but I love em.



Anyway, my mother and I had a great morning.  What is even greater is that I didn't spend any money.  The fabric sales were good but it was so busy I ended up getting fed up of being jostled by everybody.  Besides, there was a bit of a January sale vibe about the place where everything was cut price and meant to be a bargain but there wasn't anything that really grabbed me.  I came home empty handed much to Mr P's relief.

Coming home without purchases is unlikely to be the case for my next proposed visit to Farnham Maltings, the last weekend in February.  They are staging Unravelled which is a knitting show.  Lots of knitting and crochet loveliness plus lots of the smaller yarn producers and shops selling beautiful unusual (and expensive!) yarns that you just want to spend all day squishing and stroking. Sigh.  I am saving my pennies for that one.



No comments:

Post a Comment